Saturday, October 23, 2010

the bird is the word



 I am apologizing in advance - this is a very long post! AND I CAN'T STOP ADDING TO IT! There have just been so many connections coming together that I couldn't contain them all in a collage. And a lot of the connections have been through looking at the etymology of words, so I feel the need to attempt to explain my thoughts with words as best I can. Okay, here we go...

The other night I spontaneously decided to watch one of my favorite movies from my youth, the movie "Mermaids" starring Cher, Winona Ryder, and Christina Ricci. The entire movie I was thinking about how Christina Ricci as a child looked so much like my niece Meghan when she was small. Christina Ricci is 'the little mermaid' in that film as she is the little sister and is obsessed with all things having to do with swimming.


Looking up tidbits about Christina Ricci, it's interesting to note that she has a number of tattoos, among them is a lion on her back shoulder, a BIRD on her right breast, and a mermaid on her left ankle.

Also interesting to note is that Christina Ricci has an Aquarius Sun. Aquarius as we know is the water bearer and is associated with the Star card in the Tarot. I will talk more about further connections that I see here later, but mermaids could be seen as the combination of Aquarius and Pisces, Uranus and Neptune, the cognition of human (Aquarius), but rooted in the water with the lower half of a fish (Pisces) - representing the unconscious. Mermaids are right-brained, artistic, water spirits. Which is why they are often associated with taverns/drinking alcohol (spirits), aka a mundane way of achieving union with god.


So Christina Ricci as the littlest mermaid, of course reminded me of the Disney movie "The Little Mermaid" about Ariel (which means lion of god). Ariel is the youngest and 7th (crown chakra?) of King Triton's daughters, has the loveliest VOICE, which she ends up using as a bargaining tool with the evil Ursula, in order to achieve love through the use of a pair of legs. Basically, she sells her voice/soul.





Mermaids are also associated with the Sirens of Greek mythology.
Wikipedia on Sirens: In Greek mythology, the Sirens (Greek singular: Σειρήν Seirēn; Greek plural: Σειρῆνες Seirēnes) were three dangerous bird-women, portrayed as seductresses who lured nearby sailors with their enchanting MUSIC and VOICES to shipwreck on the rocky coast of their island.


*Isn't it also interesting that the word vocation means 'spiritual CALLING'?






 The human voice is a product of the lungs, larynx (also known as the voice box or vocal cords), and articulators (tongue, lips, palate, etc.). Interesting, when I was looking up the makeup of the human voice, I was listening to the music of "Forence &The Machine", because a friend had recently got me on a kick after sending me their music video "Cosmic Love" and realized that the title of their album happens to be "Lungs"!





Well now I have to look up more information about lungs. Lungs are "the light organ" as the word originates from other words meaning LIGHT.
The Online Etymology Dictionary says:

lung 
O.E. lungen (pl.), from P.Gmc. *lungw- (cf. O.N. lunge, O.Fris. lungen, M.Du. longhe, Ger. lungethe light organ," from PIE *lengwh- "not heavy, light, easy, agile, nimble" (cf. Rus. lëgkij,lekki "light;" Rus. lëgkoje, Pol. lekkie "lung," Gk. elaphros "light" in weight; see also lever). Cf. Port. leve "lung," from L. levis "light;" Ir. scaman "lungs," from scaman "light;" Welsh ysgyfaint "lungs," from ysgafn "light." See also lights. Lung cancer attested from 1926. "lung"), lit. " Pol.


This makes sense why many schools of wisdom teach that the BREATH and enLIGHTenment are intimately connected. Vibration is everything; energy, light, sound, logos. As a minor side note, as a resident of Seattle, Washington, its interesting that we have the Sound Transit Light Rail transportation system. Hmmmm....

Well I suppose that connection isn't so minor, as transportation is associated with the planet Mercury in astrology. Mercury is associated with transportation because it is related to all things having to do with making connections; COMMUNICATION, thought, mind, etc.  Mercury is also known as Hermes in Greek mythology, MESSENGER of the gods.  And Mercury/Hermes is known also as Thoth in Egyptian mythology, the god/father of language. Thoth was often depicted with the head of a BIRD.


Wikipedia on Thoth: "He was often considered as the HEART, which, according to the ancient Egyptians, is the seat of intelligence or the MIND, and TONGUE of the sun god Ra; as well as the means by which Ra's will was translated into speech. He had also been related to the LOGOS of Plato and the MIND of God Later in ancient Egyptian history, Thoth became heavily associated with the arbitration of godly disputes, the arts of magic, the system of writing, the development of science, and the judgment of the dead." (see The All). In the Egyptian mythology, he has played many vital and prominent roles in maintaining the universe, including being one of the two deities (the other being Ma'at, who was also his wife) who stood on either side of Ra's boat.


I was talking to my friend one day, and he mentioned the phrase, "The bird is the word." Looking at the above paragraph we can definitely see that the bird is indeed the word. This paragraph was also exciting to me because I have been thinking a lot about the connection between the HEART and the TONGUE.





I have heard Drunvalo Melchiezedek, author of the Ancient Secret of the Flower of Life, say before that in our embryo development that the heart is the first organ to form, and then the tongue grows from the heart. This article about the Kidney Essence, in the perspective of Traditional Chinese Medicine, also refers to the developmental process of the tongue from the heart:

"From the heart sprouts the blood vessels through which the blood circulates, and there develops the tongue which will allow the human to communicate the images of the mind."- by Subhuti Dharmananda, Ph.D., Director, Institute for Traditional Medicine, Portland, Oregon
READ MORE HERE.

This also makes me think about SPEAKING IN TONGUES and the TONGUES OF FIRE that descended upon the heads of the biblical disciples. Speaking from the heart? 














Speaking from the heart is speaking the TRUTH. In the above paragraph from Wikipedia about Thoth, it mentioned the goddess Maat. Maat is the WINGed goddess of TRUTH who measures the weight of man's HEART against her FEATHER. (We saw the wings before when looking at the Sirens.) More on Maat in a minute!
*Also, I would like to note that the origin of the word "Wing":
wing (n.)
late 12c., wenge, from O.N. vængr "wing of a bird, aisle, etc." (cf. Dan., Swed. vinge "wing"), of unknown origin, perhaps from a P.Gmc. *we-ingjaz and ult. from PIE base *we- "blow" (cf. O.E. wawan "to blow;" see wind (n.)). Replaced O.E. feðra (pl.) "wings" (see feather)

Recently, I was reading this post at one of my favorite blogs, The Sync Whole. I encourage you to read it as they make many fascinating connections, this post being primarily about, Libra (the sign of balance and harmony), law, Maat, serpents, it goes on. Well right after I had been reading through that post, I happened upon a random YouTube video, which wasn't anything I would normally watch, it was a video of photos of scenic settings, with serene music and bible verses. One of the first verses shown caught my eye in relation to the above mentioned blog as they had been seeing connections with hair. The verse in the video was:

"Even the very HAIRS on your head are numbered." from Matthew 10:30

So I decided to look up more of that chapter of the bible to see what else it was referring to and this is what I found:

"Behold, I send you forth as sheep in the midst of wolves: be ye therefore wise as SERPENTS, and harmless as doves." Matthew 10:16

"Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a SWORD." Matthew 10:34

These verses seem to fit perfectly with the syncs mentioned in the blog post. So it got me thinking about this Matthew guy. "As a disciple, Matthew followed Christ, and was one of the witnesses of the Resurrection and the Ascension." Wikipedia



You may have heard of the four evangelists in the Christian tradition, known as Matthew, Mark, Luke and John.  The symbols of the four evangelists, the Bull, the Lion, the Eagle and the Winged Human/Angel are often depicted in churches, and they happen to fit accordingly with the symbols of the 4 fixed zodiac signs of Taurus, Leo, Scorpio and Aquarius. Matthew is the evangelist symbolized by the human/angel/winged man, the symbol also associated with Aquarius. The glyph for Aquarius is two parallel waves/currents (which might also be seen as wavy hair). In the Tarot, the Star card is associated with Aquarius. This card depicts MAAT (also known as Nuit) with her flowing, spiraling locks of hair. The star of Venus is also shown.


So we can see that there is a connection between Matthew and Maat and Truth, both are depicted as humans, often times with wings.

Back to Matthew 10:16 "... be ye therefore wise as SERPENTS."

How wise are serpents/snakes?

The prefix ser- is said to mean 'to line up, join' and pent, 'to go, pass, path, bridge'. If we revisit also the mythological god Mercury/Hermes, we see that he carries a staff, known as a caduceus, which has 2 serpents entwining and spiraling up the staff, symbolic of the rising of the kundalini energy. Snakes are often associated with the coiling, infinity symbol. They shed their skin, symbolic of death and rebirth. So we can see that serpents/snakes are indeed associated with some very wise symbolism. Interesting also, that snakes are also covered in overlapping SCALES. Something they have in common with FISH AND MERMAIDS.




There are many different kinds of scales; the scales mentioned above, as well as the scale used to measure weight (as mentioned in connection to Maat as well as the sign of Libra), a MUSICAL scale, to scale is to climb, and scale in terms of size in relation to another.




It is also relevant that the planet Venus is ruler of the sign Libra, the sign symbolized by the scales of balance and the sign concerned with HARMONY. But Venus is also ruler of the sign Taurus, which in turn rules the area of the THROAT. The throat is the point of the 5th Chakra, and Venus is also associated with the PENTAgram because of its unique orbit. Interesting to note that apples, when sliced in half have the shape of a 5 pointed star, and that the protrusion of a throat is called an Adam's APPLE. Wait...serPENT and an APPLE...where have I heard those things mentioned together before?



*Also, speaking of Venus, I highly recommend the sync video Lady of Fire! The connections that the filmmaker has made are amazing and beautiful.




So we have seen connections between things involving fish, birds, and snakes. What else do these have in common? They are all vertebrates, meaning joint of the spine. They all have back bones, just like us. Spines extend from the base/genitals to the head/crown. (And just now, in looking at the word spine, I notice sPINE, as connected to the pineal gland, which is said to be the third eye).

So, now this part might seem unrelated at first, but it connects too - I have recently been reading the book "Archetypes of the Zodiac" by Kathleen Burt. Great book, but in particular I have been focused on Chapter 11 - the archetype of Aquarius. The author relates the story of Perceval and the search for the Holy Grail to the Aquarian progression. I won't go into detail about this, as it is a lengthy subject which she has already laid out in her book. But amongst the other connections there, while I was reading this chapter, I read a sentence that contained the words 'his word'. And in that moment I saw, hiS WORD. SWORD.

The word sword means 'to cut, the cutting weapon, to hurt, tool to cut with'. To cut can also be to sHEAR, SCORE, sHARP. Interesting I thought that words related to music were within the words associated with sWORD, which connects to the musical SCALES and the VOICE, mentioned earlier. I also think its interesting that SHEAR can be SHARE when the letters are rearranged slightly, and both words mean 'to portion, divide ones own, and give part to others'. I guess this gives meaning to what people are saying when they refer to cutting with words. But words can also be used to SHARE information. (What can take you up can also bring you down).

Also, remember above from Matthew 10:34? "Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a SWORD." 

The EIGHTH card in the major arcana of the tarot, called Justice or Adjustment,  also shows the connection between the scales of balance, the sword, Maat, and the serpent.



Another minor side note, I also think the lowercase letters b, d, p, q can look like swords, as well as musical notes. 

In the Tarot, the Ace of Swords has been shown pointing upward to a "crown". The crown is the top of the head, another indication of the higher mind. The sword could be the spine that points to the crown, the path upon which we find the chakra points. And speaking of the mind, this takes us back to Mercury/Hermes/Thoth. Mercury, messenger of the gods, who travels from heaven and into the underworld, is making the connections, sharing/shearing the word/vibration.


I also noticed today, that the modern, futuristic version of a sword, as seen in the Star Wars films, is the LIGHTSABER. It seems our symbol has gotten even more appropriate!


I know there is more and that it could go on, but I'll end here for now. I'm still in the process of synthesizing but I just needed to put it out here to see it all in one place. :) I would love to hear what you are seeing and thinking too! Now I want to go watch the Sound of Music.


*Update 10/24: I was just pondering the word SHARE/SHEAR some more and noticed that it is also SHE-RA - The animated fictional heroine of the 80's. My mom didn't allow me to watch anything "magical" growing up so I haven't seen the cartoons myself, but looking into it now it's interesting to note that She-Ra was first introduced in a movie called "The Secret of the SWORD"! 

Also, we have just entered into the sign of Scorpio, one of the symbols of the sign being the scorpion. The word 'scorpion' also has its origins in 'to cut or shear'. The other symbols associated with the astrological sign of Scorpio are the eagle, phoenix and serpent. Symbols associated with death and rebirth; the phoenix rising from the ashes, the snake shedding its skin. I just thought I'd mention this here as its relevant, but it really could be another whole blog post! She-Ra definitely has her phoenix fire power going on.

image found here




8 comments:

  1. great work Crystal,
    I didn't connect your name with this site until just now, but I've enjoyed it very much inn the past and this post is really very delightful.

    I lived in Seattle around the turn of the millennium for about three years and make it back at least once a year for about two weeks--it's one of my very favorite places (breakfast at Glos, coffee at Vivaci, fish and chips on Alkai at Sun Fish, etc.)

    I actually met with a sync blogger who lives in the area this past summer in La Conner. Have you been to Radio 8Ball show live? I'd be curious to hear what that is like--I met Andras too, the impresario of Radio 8ball, very nice guy.

    anyway, you keep popping up. Happy to get to know you better.
    take care!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you ishmael :) i am so glad you enjoyed the post.
    its always nice to talk with someone that knows seattle - i am also a very big fan of breakfast at glos! my husband and i go there at least once a month and always pop over to the bookstore next door afterward, it's our little ritual. :)fish and chips on alki is always a good time!
    wow, it's amazing how small the world is. I actually grew up in Anacortes, which you may know is up near La Conner.
    I haven't been to Radio 8ball yet, but I'm curious too, hope I'll have the opportunity to go to a show soon. I'll let you know what it's like if I get the chance to go.
    I'm happy to get to know you better as well. I always enjoy your posts. perhaps i will see you in seattle sometime :)
    take care,
    crystal

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really enjoyed it Crystal!

    BIRD = 2,9,18,4 summed to "33"

    When the KUNDALINI moves up the 33 vertebrae, the mind can fly free as a BIRD!

    ~SE~

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks StrangEye! i'm so glad you enjoyed it.
    and nice observation, i hadn't thought about that!
    that number 33 sure is mystical
    3+3= 6 the number of harmony, truth, justice, balance, artistry and perfection of the material:)
    now i will be on a 33 kick, thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The lightsaber actually looks like a miniature Egyptian Djed (as in Jedi/Djed-Eye), a symbol of the base of the spine, where the Kundalini dwells.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow. That is amazing Eleleth! I suppose I shouldn't be surprised, but the connections never cease to amaze me. Thank you for the mind blowing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is such a great article you know!Great work!I read it a week ago before I went,but thought I would comment when back,did you know my old blog were called "The Ancient Sword"?Do not ask me why,because the name came like that,everything I write comes like that anyway,I guess it's all for a reason,I guess it's beyond my own understanding sometimes.Sure you understand well what i'm talking about ;)Again really great work!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you Candie :) That is amazing that your former blog was called 'The Ancient Sword'! Yes, I know what you mean about names, ideas and such coming to you intuitively, from the unconscious :) Glad you're back, looking forward to reading your posts!

    ReplyDelete

thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts! i'm inspired by what you have to say

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails